Saturday, June 21, 2014

Fashion and Jail - Latvian Style

Our adventures in Latvia continue and I feel the need to educate. Fashion is a serious business in Riga. If you want to fit in there are a few import tips I have learned from my keen observation combined with the teen experience of so many others who have lived the life of skinny jeans.. to wear or not to wear. Since I can only pull them up to my knees it has never become a issue. I simply can’t even get into them.
The only women wearing Capri's beside myself are other middle aged American tourists. I thought I was ahead of the game by not wearing my running shoes, but alas, however cool my converse are I have apparently not worn the correct pants. I would like to note that I am wearing pants, which is more than I can say for the girls dancing in AmPir (a bar which when passing I cover the boys' eyes) . Yes, that is both K and Phil. They both have informed me they have seen butts before and are not impressed.

Along with your swimsuit be sure to pack some mittens, boots and a raincoat. It has not stopped raining or risen above 60 degrees since we arrived. Folks assure me that this is unusual, but I think they are lying. Everyone is wearing boots … I cannot believe they actually packed away winter clothes and then the entire city of Riga dug in to find the warmest clothing in June. I am convinced they keep the woolen socks in the swim suit drawer. Also they sell many Latvian woolen items at the markets… no mistake.

Riga is the cultural capital …. it says so on the billboard at the airport. This is what I have learned so far:
Russians, I have discovered, are pointed out by K for their standard uniform of ill fitting shiny pants, short hair and bad manners. Being a native of New Jersey, the striking sub culture of the “Guido” seems to be a close cousin of the young Russian in Latvia. If you are not from NJ but have ever watched “the Sopranos” this is truly a phenomenon to be witnessed in it’s native environment. I think Discovery Channel may soon create a documentary of this amazing coincidence of culture. The babushkas or old women also have bad manners. We have been informed that bad manners is how you tell a Russian from a Latvian. I do believe I was winked at today by a Russian man on the street and being of a certain age I was flattered. And the bad manner rule went out the window. In general folks do not say things like ”excuse me’ or apologize when bumping folks in public everyone just moves on. There are hardly any persons of color here so K also points out in very clear English look a “brown boy” to all three black men we have seen. We will have to work on the cultural diversity issue when we get home.

We have explained that we do not want to go to Latvian jail for losing Latvian child. This has become a long standing joke. At least every 15 minutes yesterday, K said “ I do this….?” Oh yes, I forgot.. you do not want to go to Latvian Jail” Then ha- ha -ha and does it anyway. This boy is so full of life and energy. He does not stop moving, twirling, spinning on street signs, jumping over park benches, sliding down stairs, hiding and jumping out from behind trees, poles and elevators. “Phil, we go to training now?” They have found a gym and have been going for hours each day. I say last night at midnight “perhaps it’s time for bed for everyone” he says in a perfect mimic of my voice ”I don't think so.” The guys stay up watching X men wolverine till 2 a.m. I have explained this will NOT be a regular occurrence in America. He says “OK honey” and “relax baby relax” and giggles.

The bond forming between Phil and K is amazing to watch. K is physical and loves to be hugged and wrestled and will snuggle up to him on the couch. He is not afraid of letting his heart show. This kid has an amazing spirit. I can’t wait for him and Peter to get to know each other. The fact that both guys are so movement oriented is cool. I can’t wait to see the next part of this adventure play out back in the US.

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't everyone keep their woolies in the swim suit drawer??? Sounds like you are having an amazing adventure. God Bless <3

    ReplyDelete